Thursday, December 17, 2009

Response to Reading #14. McLuhan

When McLuhan says that "Media is the Message", I don't think he totally ignores the concept of 'content'. Just he seems to give a spotlight to the 'changes which the media brought into the society', I think.

When the people face advanced version of media, like telegraph, TV, or even internet, they already had tools to communicate each other. But the scale and the speed which they brought seems huge enough to change our daily lives with more extended ourselves.

There is a movie, "Iron Man" which is about that the main character wears a 'special tool' like a semi-robot stuff and he can fly even into outside of the Earth. When I look at what is happening currently, that movie reminds me of my current life.

I could extend my academic career by taking online courses even in Korea and can reach the people I want to contact anytime and anyplace by using Blackberry. It's so convenient to check out my e-mail even during the commute.

And the media is getting 'cooler' than before by McLuhan's definition because it's providing more options for us to participate in. We can make more customized our communication tool, for example, we can select more TV channels depending on our preferences or we can make our computer or cell phone screen with our kid's photo.

Yes, we are getting extended. But what about the density? I'm not sure...

Joohee

No comments:

Post a Comment